Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Setting up Hyper-V Server in a Workgroup

I wanted to setup and do some testing with the Hyper-V Server, which has a published unlimited trial period. So effectively, it is free. Not a bad deal.  

Unfortunately, Hyper-V Server is a command line server - so no nice, easy to use Hyper-V tools like you get with a full server installation. Fortunately, you can connect to the server remotely, using the Hyper-V tools that are available in Windows 10 (and perhaps Windows 8 - but I do not know). So my goal was to use the Hyper-V tools in Windows 10 as the client to connect to and manage my free/unlimited Hyper-V Server installation setup in a Workgroup (and not a domain). Unfortunately, I found that Hyper-V Server really wants to be connected to a domain. So to connect, I needed some more steps.

I did find an extremely useful post on how to setup Hyper-V Serve in a work group. You can find it here:  Setting upWindows Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 in a workgroup.  [http://nearlydeaf.com/?p=1149]. I only had to add one more step (#8 below) to get my Hyper-V tools on Windows 10 to connect. 

I followed it pretty closely, but here is a summary of the steps I followed:


  1. Name the Hyper-V Server with a useful name such as:                       hypervserver
  2. Suggest that you adjust the Hyper-V server to use a static IP: such as 192.168.1.17
  3. Run:  WinRM quickconfig   on the Hyper-V Server
  4. Run:  WinRM on the Hyper-V Server
     the extended steps listed below

        winrm set winrm/config/client/auth '@{CredSSP="true"}'
        winrm set winrm/config/service/auth '@{CredSSP="true"}'
        winrm set winrm/config/service/auth '@{Basic="true"}'
  5. Run:  netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off   on the Hyper-V Server. Update the hosts file Windows 10.  Start notepad as an administrator and open the hosts file. Add an entry that points to the Hyper-V Server. 
    Such as:
        192.168.1.17  hypervserver
        find the file here:
      windows\system32\drives\etc)
  6. Run:  On Windows 10: In Powershell  (run as administrator) 

    Set-Item wsman:\localhost\Client\TrustedHosts hypervserver -Concatenate -Force

    - did not work the first time, so ran winrm quickconfig, then re-ran the full command:  'hypervserver' is the name I gave to server, same as in hosts
  7. Run:  On Windows 10: In Powershell  (run as administrator):

    enable-wsmancredssp -role client -delgatecomputer hyperv2012svr
  8. This final set was not listed on the post I found, but was required before I could connect to my Hyper-V Server from Windows 10:
           Run:  on windows 10:
                winrm s winrm/config/client  '@{TrustedHosts=”RemoteComputer”}'




No comments: