Sunday, October 8, 2017

Fix Windows 10 - 100% Disk Usage in Task Manager

A colleague directed me to the URl below with a list of tips to fix the 100% disk usage problem I was having with Windows 10.   I also disabled all the Google Chrome Sync "on - custom settings"

You can find the site here:  Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager.

I only needed to do a few steps:


  1. disable windows search
  2. disable SuperFetch service  (see registry adjustments below)
  3. disable all Google Chrome:  Sync "on - custom settings"



A failing SAS hard drive on my RAID :


I've setup my primary workstation with RAID 1 using an LSI SAS 3000 series (1068E) controller.  When disk usage started to spike again, the problem was with the hard drive.  The RAID controller was struggling to maintain consistency with the failing SAS drive. Once the hard drive was replaced, and the RAID rebuilt, disk usage for the RAID partition was back to normal.

Other notes:


I eventually, changed the registry settings for memory management:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\

  • EnablePrefetcher:   change from 3 to 0
  • EnableSuperfetch:  change from 3 to 0


Background Intelligent Transfer Service:  I have it set to 'Manual' and is typically not running





No comments: